Bangalow Catering operates from Bangalow Dining Rooms at The Bangalow Hotel. We are able to cater functions at venues from Ballina north to the Gold Coast. Our professional and friendly staff strive to make every event, whether casual daytime canapés, cocktail party or a wedding, a memorable one. This function package sets-out our guidelines, but if you have any particular request or idea we will do our best to tailor an event that suits your individual taste and style.
Our menus are designed for flexibility – please do not hesitate to contact us regarding any special requests. We will be able to guide you as to the amount normally expected to be enjoyed by guests during the course of a function, all our prices include 10% GST. Unfortunately we cannot book catering over the Christmas/ New Year and Easter periods.
Our catering service can include canapés or sit down functions; our canapés are all bite or sip sized finger food beautifully presented on platters with napkins. Canapés can be served almost anywhere – from a house, pool-side to a paddock! Shared food or tapas make excellent starters, our entrees and main menus are professionally cooked and presented, and all our wonderful dishes have been thoroughly enjoyed in our restaurant. Menu prices do not include service staff, bar-staff nor wedding co-ordination, additional staff costs are set out at the end. We also have a cake and wedding cake service.
A deposit of 20% is required to confirm the date, final numbers together with full payment is required two weeks in advance of your function. Our menus are based on fresh seasonal ingredients and therefore change regularly, we work with each client individually on a menu that will suit them.
We are committed to serving our guests the best food and strive to showcase the wonderful produce that the Northern Rivers is renowned for. We would love to cater your next event, contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
To start a function with a selection of canapés we suggest a selection of 4 items, this option is available only for events where there is to be a main meal – we want to ensure all guests enjoy plenty of food. To replace your entrée with canapés or for a light meal we recommend 6 to 7 items. You may like to order shared platters in addition to the light meal option.
Canapé prices include GST, platter hire, napkins and any utensils needed for each item. Prices do not include service staff, this will be listed separately in your quote. Our professional staff are experienced in catering and restaurant environments and strive to make every event a success.
v = vegetarian, gf = Gluten Free
- Bloody Mary oyster shot (gf)
- House cured salmon en croute, pear and walnut dressing
- Gazpacho, sand crab and Italian parsley salad (gf)
- Dolmades, sesame and fresh mint (v/gf)
- Curried slipper lobster tartlet
- Marinated feta, watermelon, spanish onion, balsamic vinegar (v/gf)
- Grilled sardines, vine ripened tomato and black olive salsa (gf)
- Seared yellowfin tuna with shaved daikon, fennel and olive salad (gf)
- Spanner crab and avocado salad on witlof (gf)
- Kingfish tartare tartlet, salmon pearls, sweet basil
- Marinated bocconcini, prosciutto, salsa verde (v/gf)
- Petite green papaya salad, nahm jim, roasted peanuts (gf)
- Tartlet of cottage cheese, roasted cherry tomato, avocado, marjoram (v)
- House-made pate, cornichons on sliced sourdough
- Salt and chilli squid, chilli jam
- Goat's cheese and ratatouille tartlet, salsa verde (v)
- Confit Bangalow duck crepe with orange glaze
- Wild mushroom and ricotta arancini, pesto emulsion (v/gf)
- Citrus crumbed asparagus spears, tarragon hollandaise (v)
- Herb and garlic marinated lamb cutlets, romesco sauce (gf)
- BBQ chicken skewers, peanut and coriander relish (gf)
- Local school prawn fritter, smoked chilli aioli
- Spicy lamb and pork meatballs, roasted roma tomato sauce (gf)
- Sage and parmesan stuffed mushrooms, creamed spinach (v)
- Tempura battered king prawns, teriyaki dipping sauce
- Grilled half-shell scallops, gremolata (gf)
- Zucchini and haloumi fritters with smoked tomato salsa (v)
- Lemon and thyme scented brandade with aioli and chives
- Lamb kibbeh, pine nuts and fetta, minted labna (gf)
- Beetroot tart tartin, thyme salt (v)
- Macadamia crumbed lamb brains, mustard cream
- Seared scallop, black pudding, apple puree
- Pork and fennel sausage rolls, horseradish salsa
- Mixed mushroom fritters, roasted garlic aioli (v)
- Mini orange syrup cakes, vanilla scented yoghurt
- Dark chocolate profiteroles, black cherry compote
- Lemon meringue tartlets
- Walnut baklava, wild honey ice cream
- Rose scented toffeed apple (gf)
- Champagne and blueberry jelly (gf)
Canapés to start a function $28 per person. From a selection of 4 items
Canapés as a light meal $38 per person. From a selection of 6 items
Canapés as a meal $55 per person. From a selection of 9 – 10 items
Canapés for the hungry $66 per person From a selection of 10 - 12 items.
You may wish to also include sweet items to finish.
Further canapés may be ordered at $5.50 per person per piece.
Platter prices are based on approximately 8 people sharing as part of an entrée or light meal. Platters are placed at strategic spots within the venue, guests serve themselves. The platters are intended to supplement a function only, as such would not be suitable replacement for a full meal.
- Platters of fresh oysters $36 per dozen
- eschallote and sherry mignonette (gf)
- cucumber and finger lime vinaigrette (gf)
- lemon and star anise granita (gf)
- Salad bowls: $44 ea Mixed leaf with olives and fetta Roasted pumpkin, baby spinach, sunflower seeds, goat's cheese Fennel, cucumber, celery, dates and mixed leaf Rare beef green papaya salad, peanuts, herbs, sprouts, red nahm jim Chicken & avocado salad, rocket, feta, quinoa, candied walnuts, mustard dressing Roasted vegetables: eggplant, zucchini, pumpkin, capsicum, mushroom
- Seafood platter: grilled prawns with garlic aioli, seared scallops, crab and marinated mussels $88 *Antipasto meats: a selection of freshly sliced Salumi artisan smallgoods and accompaniments $66
- Mixed cheeses: a selection of fine Australian and international cheese with pear, muscatels and quince paste. $44
Sit down meals:
If you have any special favourite dishes, dietary requirements or special requests, our chefs are happy to work with you to create a personalised menu. The menu items may be dependent on the availability of fresh produce.
- Seared scallops, black sticky rice, palm sugared pork, coriander and mint salsa
- Sumac spiced king prawns, almond gazpacho, rocket and pink grapefruit salad
- Slow roasted pork belly 'waldorf', apple and fennel puree, walnut paste, celery heart salad, smoked lemon aioli
- Goats cheese tart, pink grapefruit, rocket and shaved fennel salad
- Grilled asparagus, watercress, radish, grano padano, white truffle vinaigrette
- Confit duck rillette wrapped in brik pastry with a celeriac puree, watercress
Starters and sides
- Char-grilled salmon fillet, crushed cucumber, shaved fennel, date and walnut salad
- Local fresh fish fillet, Nimbin dry-land rice, asparagus, orange and toasted coriander butter
- Marinated chicken breast, chat potatoes, hazelnut stuffing, broccolini, mustard sauce
- Braised lamb shanks filled with quinoa and cranberries, green beans, mountain pepper jus
- Red wine marinated beef cheeks, soft herbed polenta, mushroom ragout and broccolini
- Braised pork belly with apples and prunes, sweet potato puree, green beans
- Char-grilled sirloin, beetroot puree, thyme scented potato rosti, minted jelly, broccolini
- Roasted lamb rump, gruyere soufflé, pea puree, mint jelly, rosemary jus
- Coffee-rubbed kangaroo fillet, roasted root vegetables, macadamia nuts, salsa verde
- Spiced butternut pumpkin & chickpea tagine, almond cous cous, yoghurt, green chilli harissa
- Baby cauliflower and blue cheese pie, young leaf, roasted nut and grain salad
- Garlic damper (to start)
- Rosemary and orange marinated olives
- Home made pate, mini sourdough loaf, cornichons
- Salt and pepper squid, Vietnamese pickled caroot and bean sprout salad, chilli caramel
- Chicken and pork terrine, port and apple jelly, sourdough loaf
- Antipasto plate of local Salumi artisan meats, roasted marinated vegetables, bread
- Garden salad
- Roasted kipfler potatoes
- Buttered greens
- Stir-fried garlic bok choy
- Dark chocolate & almond cake, kirsch macerated strawberries, fresh cream, pistachio crumb
- Mandarin brulee, macadamia biscotti, dried fig compote
- Vanilla bean panna cotta, rhubarb granita, toasted pistachio
- Red wine poached pear, coconut crumble, cinnamon ice-cream
Two courses - $55 per person, alternate drop from choice of two per course
Three courses - $66 per person, alternate drop from choice of two per course
Sides - $10 per person for choice of two
Starters - $15 per person for choice of three
Cake cutting - $5 per person including cream or coulis
Public holiday rates are 2 times weekday rates. Minimum shift time for staff is 4 hours
|Monday - Friday||Weekends|
|Supervisor||$38||$45 per hour|
|Waiters and bar-staff||$30||$36 per hour|
|Chef||$38||$45 per hour|
|Kitchen-hand||$25||$30 per hour|
For staffing we recommend:
A supervisor for every event 1 wait—staff member per 20 guests, up to 60 people; there-after another waiter for every 30 guests 1 bar – staff member per 30 guests 1 kitchen hand per function 1 chef for canapé functions per 40 guests 1 chef for sit-down per 30 guests
Please allow plenty of time for staff to set-up tables, bar-ware and kitchens before the commencement of your function. Staff are also required to clean serving ware, function areas and kitchens after serving food has been completed.
Self – Catering
If you have a small dinner party or gathering and wish to order the platters of food only, we offer a drop-off service, this is $30 within Byron Shire, or you may wish to pick up from our restaurant directly. Some of our canapés are cold, but others require heating, so a large oven and a competent cook are necessary. A hire fee of $3 per ceramic platter or board applies, plus a deposit of $100, please return the platters, washed, to our restaurant in Bangalow.
Quotes and booking your event
Organisation is the key to success for any event and we understand that invitations have to be sent and received and guest numbers change. We require a 20% deposit to confirm the date of your event and final payment one month prior to your function. Two weeks notice is required for menu confirmation, dietary requirements and numbers. Cancellations will be charged the deposit from two weeks prior to their event. Final numbers will be charged one week prior to your event.
However for those last minute events, we are also able to cater at short notice, this will depend on our bookings and staff availability.
All menu prices include GST, they do not include staff costs, these will be included in your quote as separate items. We will only use our own professional and trained staff, Please be advised on the minimum number of staff required to ensure your event is a success.
Canapé prices include platter and serving ware but do not include the additional hire of any plates, cutlery, glassware and linen. Sit-down prices do not include hiring of plates, cutlery, glassware, linen or incidentals. To maintain quality, we will not serve food that is not prepared by us except for wedding or birthday cakes.
For large functions we can recommend a local hire company for their full range and prices, we can help you make a decision on the number of serving utensils and table-ware. We will provide our own basic cooking equipment such as pots, trays, fryers and serving ware. Depending on the size of the party and the kitchen available, additional cooking equipment may be needed. We are happy to set up a re-locatable kitchen or extra kitchen equipment, this will be hired from local hire companies, with all costs in addition to menu prices. Together we will work through a plan with guests as to additional requirements for their function.
We are happy to recommend florists, wedding cake bakers, decorators, musicians and hire companies that we have successfully worked with in the past.
Please contact us via email for a full quote for your event.
We look forward to professionally catering your next event
Download a PDF
Information and pricing current as at November 2014